USIS Fact Sheet
When was your company established?
USIS was established in July 1996 as a result of the privatization of the investigative branch of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), a federal agency. In conjunction with the privatization, USIS was awarded a five-year contract with OPM to provide security clearance background investigations to more than 95 federal agencies. USIS has 100 federal contracts today.
What is the origin of your company name?
The company's original name, when privatized, was US Investigations Services, Inc. The name was selected to reflect the nature of the company's work at that time—essentially a company that provided security clearance background investigations work under a contract with OPM. The company was re-branded in 2006 and the name shortened to USIS. The decision to re-brand was based on the much wider scope of security-related screening and background solutions provided by the company to government and commercial clients.
Who owns your company?
USIS is an Altegrity company. Altegrity is a family of companies united by a commitment to enable our customers to reduce risk, maximize opportunities, and make better decisions by gathering, processing, and analyzing information; sharing our subject matter expertise; and providing our proven training techniques. Providence Equity Partners owns Altegrity.
What is the business focus of USIS?
USIS provides a wide range of security solutions to its many government and commercial customers. The company is committed to being the leading provider of screening and security-based information and service solutions to its customers in the government, law enforcement and first responder, commercial, and litigation support markets.
What sets USIS apart from the competition?
The company is committed to understanding the needs of its customers and providing higher quality, better value solutions faster than its competitors. USIS uses a combination of proprietary IT technology, extensive secure databases, and its highly committed workforce to set it apart from the competition.
USIS specializes in providing information and security services to government agencies and commercial enterprises. Headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, USIS delivers background screening and risk management solutions that not only protect national security, but also support and help empower decision-makers the world over.
Since 1996, USIS has been the leading provider of background investigations to the federal government. Along with its focus on protecting national security, USIS is also a preeminent source of comprehensive litigation support services in the legal services market.
USIS offers a wide range of professional services that include:
Innovative technology, robust security environments, evolving best practices, uncompromising integrity, and responsive client service have also contributed to our reputation as a trusted advisor to government and commercial customers alike.
Our Mission: To deliver best-in-class people, processes, and technology in partnership with our diverse customer base, creating value for shareholders, employees, and the community.
Our Vision: To be the premier provider of knowledge-based security solutions, Ensuring a Safer Future Today.®
- Has nearly 2,300 credentialed field investigators—the largest team in North America—and more than 2,000 additional highly trained professionals cleared for work on classified projects and programs.
- Performed nearly 2 million investigations for government agencies in 2011
- Uses secure, proprietary IT systems to conduct its investigation processes ensuring information security and real-time tracking of performance.
- Provides compliance and investigation services that combat fraud, waste and abuse in the health care industry
- Provides customized records, information, and document management solutions for the federal government, including the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and more.
- Provides litigation support that includes drafting motions and briefs, conducting legal research, supporting discovery, and assisting in trial or negotiation preparations.
How many employees do you have today?
Headquartered in Falls Church, Va., the company has more than 6,000 employees who support business operations in all 50 states, U.S. territories, and overseas.
How can you be contacted?
USIS' corporate address is 7799 Leesburg Pike, Suite 400 South
Falls Church, VA 22043-2413
General telephone number is 703.448.0178.
Employment inquiries should be directed to 800.672.1264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
USIS' website address is www.usis.com.